Sunday, January 24, 2010

New car audio system - steering wheel controls?

I'm planning on replacing my car's sound system, new stereo, speakers, etc., so I'm trying to educate myself about these things. If I have everything replaced, will my factory installed steering wheel controls still work? I've gotten used to them by now.


Also, I don't want to go crazy with my budget, but I want quality sound. Do you think I should get subs or just stick with some quality speakers? Car has: two tweeters, two 4x6 and two 6x9. 2002 pontiac grand am coupe with monsoon system factory installed. Thanks!New car audio system - steering wheel controls?
Your next aftermarket must have a wireless remote for your wheel controls to work. A IR lead must be aiming at the aftermarket radio.





A stereo car shop charged me $200.00 for an installer to make some sort of harness to cennect the factory radio to teh wheel controls to the after market radio. Since my '01 Impala has resettable controls such as tire pressure monitor and oil life reset built in the factory radio, they mounted the factory radio in the trunk on a fender, behind the carpet. It has power to it and the light delay preferances, oil resetting and **** still work. The onstar no longer works. I'm sure I can run a small speaker under the dash for it but I don't use the service. I can power on, mute, vol +/- and more with steering wheel controls.





I have the IR lead under the center console, up the floor shifter boot and sticking out slightly The wheel controls work only if its in neutral, D, or 123. The lead is too far forward when the shifter is in park.





Enough about me, to aswer your question;





Stick w/ a budget on spending, if you have an mp3 player, get a head unit (HU) w/ an aux input. Use the pre amps to you amp(s). then run the rears to your 6x9s.





Go for what ever subs you can afford.








The factory Monsoon isn't too bad.


I find alot of my buds reading car audio mags and buy **** manufacturers give to theses guys for free. Then my buds get bored w/ what they got and redo their ****. Don't fall in the same $ trap.





cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment