Sunday, January 24, 2010

Will third-party car audio systems work with steering wheel audio controls?

I'm trying to get a small, dependable car with decent storage space, under $20K, that I can plug my iPod into and skip songs with a button on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, I have to move out of my parents' in August and can't wait for the '09s to come out, as most of them will have this feature.





I liked the Scion until I saw the trunk space wasn't good for hauling things like keyboards, guitars and amps (hey, guess my hobby!) and the gas mileage was less than optimal.





So now I'm thinking an Elantra SE with a third party audio system, but would really like to have those steering wheel controls be compatible with the system鈥攊s that possible?





So in addition to that question, if no, is there a car like what I'm looking for with the USB/iPod integration? It seems to only be on larger or pricer vehicles...





(PS - I don't mean an aux jack, I've tried that in my dad's Prius... iPod was all the way in the console bin and I couldn't control it.)Will third-party car audio systems work with steering wheel audio controls?
Since you say that your Dad has an aux-input jack on his Prius, it must be a 2006-current model year with at least the mid-grade audio system... (The aux-input jack just connects your audio device to output the headphone/line-out jack to produce audio on the car's speakers, nothing more.)





Here are some options for iPod integration (you can control your iPod through the touch screen and steering wheel controls, and songs will display on the MFD) for a 2004-current Prius:





from CoastalETech: http://www.coastaletech.com/ULTIMATE%20I鈥?/a>


various Vais Technology products add an aux-input or will do an iPod hookup. (I used their older AIC-100i model without issues in my 2004 Prius for full iPod integration.): http://www.vaistech.com/


and the Denison DICE iPod integration kit:


http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_inte鈥?/a> and


http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.p鈥?/a>





Similar information is found at: http://www.wikihow.com/Hook-up-an-iPod-i鈥?/a>





I think that both VaisTech and Denison make similar iPod integration products for other makes/models as well, if you are looking for a different car.Will third-party car audio systems work with steering wheel audio controls?
Normally you won't be able to get the interfaces until about 6 mos. to a year after the car is released. You may want to try PAC or Soundgate's tech support for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment